What did you do in 2016 that you'd never done before?
Got engaged, split up with and got back together with someone, seen a hoopoo, gone t Danube Delta, written for 16 hours, celebrated a birthday in Czech Republic and gatecrashed a 3 year old's birthday. Driven on the right, failed to pass a course first time, eaten rabbit.
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
This year: Lose weight, keep track of spending, get the bloody DELTA done.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
A few friends
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No but an acquaintace from uni died at 44 and the number of celeb deaths was terrifying
5. What countries did you visit?
UK, Romania, Moldova, Czechia
6. What would you like to have in 2017 that you lacked in 2016?
7. What dates from 2016 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Mid Feb, my chap announcing he would be moving to Denmark. This crushed me. 1st May, celebrating Easter in Tulcea and learning he was coming back and feeling amazed. 7th August, m birthday and having one day of rest in the middle of DELTA insanity. The last Monday, skiving off to visit the Zoo. 12th December, being on a mountain in Bucovina and receiving a proposal of marriage.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Not totally dying after learning I had failed last DELTA assignment
9. What was your biggest failure?
Failing it. Not getting to grips with limba Romana
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Gum infection and cystitis and a diagnosis of periotendinitus
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Trips!!! Plane ticket home (in fairness this was reimbursed)
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My chums :)
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
52% of those who elected for Brexit, Theresa May, My fiance before he realised the error of his ways, Trump. Bigots.
14. Where did most of your money go?
books, travel, jewels
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
16. What song will always remind you of 2016?
17. Compared to this time last year, are you happier/sadder; fatter/thinner; richer/poorer?
a) Not as happy but not sad.
c) Poorer but frankly it's worth it..
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Improving my mind, writing, learning
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Avec the fiance's family
21. Did you fall in love in 2016?
Not fell in love per se but realised I loved the man as I thought I was going to lose him.
22. How many one-night stands?
23. What was your favourite TV program?
Romanian cartoons which I have been watching/
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
25. What was the best book you read?
Poisonwood Bible, The Ibis trilogy, Nick Clegg's autobiography, The Eyre Affair, Burial rites
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Not been a very musical year but I rediscovered Musica Populara
27. What did you want and get?
Love (or sex!), travel
28. What did you want and not get?
Passing the DELTA M2 first time
29. What was your favourite film of this year?
Fantastic beasts, Star wars, The Teacher, Jungle Book. How to be single (rubbish but it made me feel better).
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
35. I went with an old friend to visit Konopiste palace near Prague.
31.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A victory for remain and Hilary Clinton.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2014?
Garish! as usual.
33. What kept you sane?
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
Refugees, Brexit, Trump, Syria, Putin......
36. Who did you miss?
The family, the man.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
Folks on the DELTA
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2016.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Everyday is like a battle.
There will be trouble in the world this next year, and perhaps love will be what we need most.
I wrote that as a summation last year and I am impressed how prescient it was. The world seems to have lost its humour and its joy this year, bile reigns and I will look back on this and wonder how we got ourselves into this mess. How we would survive. My country is bitter and Torn, America will lose its soul in the next four years and we will look to China to defend us against Russia. IS will fall but leave viral traces in its wake.
And I will marry and settle. I will mourn my country but hope to build a life for myself in Romania. And hope to buy land, get a home together. Build our fortress.....